If you are living in Australia, boating season tends to be year round. When birds are migrating, they not only go to buildings and trees, they also find boats are…
The future is solar and solar panels are becoming increasingly popular as consumers search for clean, efficient sources of power.
Solar panels are popping up on rooftops all across the country and solar technology is becoming evermore sophisticated. It’s not hard to imagine solar power playing a dominant role in the future as technology grows more efficient and cost effective.
Amidst this incredible growth and technological advancement however, one very unsophisticated and troublesome problem continues to plague these systems: critters in the form of birds, possums and rodents, especially pigeons. Solar panels are typically installed with space between the panel and the roof to allow room for wiring ect. Small animals love the shelter and warmth of this area but allowing them access is not a good idea for the below reasons:
1. Birds love to build their nests under the panels. A mess made up of bird droppings, nesting materials, broken eggs and even dead chicks collects beneath the panels, reducing air flow and causing heat to build up under the panels.
2. The bird mess can eventually flow into your gutters and down the side of your home or building causing gutter blockages and an unsightly mess. This can happen very fast, sometimes within a week.
3. More birds under the panels means more birds on the panels. Bird poo on the panels reduces the efficiency of the panels and looks terrible. Baked on bird droppings are also very difficult to remove and can do permanent damage.
4. Possums, rodents and even some birds can chew on exposed wiring underneath the panels. This can cause the panels to run inefficiently, potentially costing you thousands of dollars in running costs, not to mention the cost of repairing wires.
5. Damaged wires mixed with debris can pose a significant fire hazard.
6. Families of nesting birds under the panels will wake you very early in the morning as the are a noisy nuisance especially between 3am and 4am.
HOW TO PROTECT YOUR PANELS FROM PESTS
Unprotected solar panels WILL experience damage from birds and/or other pests if unprotected. It is not a matter of “if” but a matter of “when”. Remember, bird damage can happen fast.
Luckily protecting your solar panels is as easy as installing a good quality Solar Panel Mesh System in combination with another deterrent to keep birds and pests away all together.
The Keep Em Out Solar Panel Mesh Kit is made up of a simple to install pre cut mesh and easy glide on clips. This high quality mesh is a black PVC coated wire mesh, this prevents possible corrosion or scratching from using dissimilar metals. It also has perfectly proportioned holes to allow proper air flow.
If you only have a few panels, the Bird Free Optical Gel is an easy alternative to the mesh. Pigeons cannot tolerate the smell, taste or touch of the gel. You can simply glide the gel discs underneath the panel. One packet of Bird Free Optical Gel contains 15 discs which covers up to 3 lineal metres. Simply stick it down with a dab of silicon, Blue Tack or double sided tape. It lasts up to 4 years.
Other deterrents such as the Yard Sentinel RC on both sides of a pitched roof and/or some Flock Reflectors spaced 10 meters apart will keep the pests away all together by irritating and scaring the pests.
Whilst the system is simple, it is always best to use a professional installer as they have special skills and extensive training when it comes to navigating roof tops and their potential dangers, as well as the potential toxicity of the bird mess.